Based on extensive research on emerging workplace strategies, we have developed a number of models that can quantify the economic, environmental, and societal potential of flexible workplace strategies such as:
- Office hoteling
- Desk sharing
- Activity-based work settings
- Executive offices/co-working
- Open floorplans
- Flex options:
- Compressed workweek
- Job sharing
- Part time work
- Flex time
Our research has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, Harvard Business Review, Washington Post, and hundreds of other publications.
Our models have been used by U.S., U.K., and Canadian organizational and community leaders to quantify the extent to which workplace flexibility can:
- Save money
- Reduce work-life conflict
- Increase employee engagement
- Improve well-being
- Increase employee loyalty and reduce turnover
- Reduce absenteeism
- Increase productivity
- Reduce healthcare costs
- Reduce greenhouse gases and petroleum usage
- Reduce highway congestion and traffic accidents
- Improve disaster preparedness
Pro vs. Free Workplace Savings Calculator™
The pro version of our Workplace Savings Calculator™ includes over 100 customizable variables and over 600 calculations. It allows us to model the impact of a wide variety of alternative workplace strategies for public- and private-sector employees. While that model is only available to our clients, in the interest of helping organizations understand just how much workplace change can impact people, planet, and profits we’ve made three less complex models available free to the public. All are based on the same robust research that power our pro models, but have fewer adjustable variables.
Three of the free calculators are specific to telework.
The one at the bottom of this page was the first one we created, years ago, and is by no means our best. But it does allow you to quantify the benefits of home-based work for the individual cities, metro areas, congressional districts, counties, states, and the whole U.S.. The results are based on U.S. Census data that we’ve coupled with our synthesis of industry research on the bottom-line impact of telework.
The second free model is a lite version of our professional Pro Workplace Savings Calculator™. It allows users to quantify the individual, organizational, or environmental impact of private sector telework based on just a few of their own assumptions.
- Campus Mobile ROI Calculator™
- Office Hoteling ROI Calculator™
- Activity-Based Working ROI Calculator™
- Employee Telework Savings Calculator™
- Co-working ROI Calculator™
- Mobile Work ROI Calculator™
- Mobile Technology ROI Calculator™
- Dual Monitor Breakeven™
- WELL Building Breakeven Calculator™
- Ergonomic Chair ROI Calculator™
- Sit-Stand ROI Calculator™
- Ergonomic Assessment ROI Calculator™
Click on the following for:
Note: In the calculator below you can only search on one area at a time – all 50 states, a given state, or within a state, a particular county, congressional district, metro area, or city. Not all cities are available as they weren’t included in the census data. If you know the number of residents and how many telecommute in the city you’re interested in, click the Modify Assumptions option, fill in that data and you’ll have the answer.