Neurodiversity, is an umbrella term for people who aren’t neurotypical, and includes such conditions as autism spectrum disorder (ASD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), dyslexia, and others. HOK’s comprehensive report shows how businesses can design for inclusion of this portion of the workforce.
Fifteen to twenty percent of people have conditions that mean, to borrow a phrase from Apple, they “think different.” They represent a hugely under-utilized portion of the workforce.
Designing workspaces that are more inclusive of their diversity can help them perform better. A buzzing florescent light can be annoying for some but debilitating for others.
The report offers practical takeaways including specific design strategies, operational changes, and individual adjustments that can help not only this underutilized source of talent thrive, but benefit the rest of your workforce in the process.
New research from HOK explores the challenges and opportunities facing the tech sector today."
A new report from HOK is chocked full of information about workplace trends in the tech sector. It's 81 pages includes information about space allocation and mix, workspace size, utilization, costs, amenities, expansion strategies, distributed work, future outlooks, plus 10 case studies.
"The New Insurance Workplace" 2018 offers an investigation of the forces reshaping the insurance industry and how workplace design can position companies for success.
This report offers a treasure trove of insights into how insurance industry workplaces are evolving.
Among other things, this 28-page report covers:
- factors that are driving change
- space standards and benchmarking data
- sustainability, mobility, technology, and amenity trends
- case studies
Many of today’s companies are putting in place global guidelines that strive to create consistent work and cultural experiences.
Kay Sargent from HOK offers an excellent round-up of the challenges and opportunities for workplace design across different parts of the world. She stresses the importance of guidelines vs. standards to accommodate differences in culture, organizational structure, demographics, market conditions, legal issues, and technological factors.
"An investigation of the forces reshaping the financial industry and how workplace design can position companies for success."
This report covers the threats and challenges this and many others sectors are facing such as new entrants, rapidly changing technologies, talent wars, and a loss of public trust. From benchmark space metrics to cryptocurrencies, this 36 page report is a must-read.
- For every $4 Scotiabank spends on space, they spend $1 on technology
- “The huge issue is AI and we are all trying to figure out if we will need the growth we are planning for.”
- Space and technology go hand in hand. If you don’t build the technology to support the great spaces there is no point.
- Many Ivy League graduates once drawn to the compensation and prestige of a Wall Street job are instead opting for the tech sector, where they see fewer regulations inhibiting innovation and more opportunities for explosive growth.
If any of this interests you, you really need to read the full report.